Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable disease, disability, and death in the United States. As of 2018, about 34 million US adults smoke cigarettes. Every day about 1600 young people under 18 try their first cigarette and nearly 200 become daily cigarette smokers. CDC
Our program aims to bring community awareness and education regarding tobacco prevention and cessation in the Hmong community.
Reduce and prevent youth tobacco use and address tobacco-related disparities in the Hmong community of Minnesota by promoting community-driven tobacco prevention and control activities and strategies.
- Identify and assess the community’s awareness of and need for culturally appropriate services and resources that leads to cessation of tobacco usage.
- Increase the community’s knowledge of and access to resources, support, and referrals of cessation services.
- Build a community of leaders engaged in dialogue and action towards tobacco prevention and cessation in their communities.
Tobacco use during COVID-19
Research shows that individuals that smoke are more likely to develop severe symptoms of COVID-19 due to compromised immune system from tobacco use.
Pathways to Success
Pathways to Success is a culturally specific youth group, ages 14-24, that aims to reduce commercial tobacco use in the Hmong community through education, leadership development, and dialogue on tobacco prevention and cessation. Through a comprehensive Tobacco 101 Training, youth are challenged to think critically about the tobacco industry and Hmong practices that involve commercial tobacco. Youth also participate in outreach, various events and projects as needed.
Join HAP’s Pathways Program for Summer 2021 to Reduce Your Tobacco Use
The 12-week virtual program explores the tobacco industry. Each participant will receive a $300 stipend upon successful completion of the program. If you have any questions or would like more information, please reach out to:
PaDee Vue | Tobacco Prevention Coordinator | firstname.lastname@example.org | 651-448-5841.
Referrals of Cessation Services
HAP is committed to improving the health of the communities we serve and supports healthy behaviors and healthy lifestyle choices. If you or a loved one are thinking about quitting tobacco use, please contact our Tobacco Prevention Coordinator who can refer you to Quit Partner services, provides additional resources, and supports you in quitting at your own pace.
For more information on QUIT PARTNER services: 1-800-QUIT-NOW (784-6889) | https://quitpartnermn.com/
- HAP Focus Group
- Conducted during Fall 2018-Winter 2019
- Goal: explore and understand Hmong perspectives on tobacco use
- MDH Youth Tobacco Survey (PDF)
MDH TFC Grant
- Hmong American Partnership is in their fifth year of this grant-funded program, for more information visit the website for more information: https://www.health.state.mn.us/tfc
Please contact our Tobacco Prevention Coordinator for further information: PaDee Vue | 651-412-7312 | email@example.com