HAP is committed to improving the health of the communities we serve. The Hmong Tobacco-Free Program is funded by a five-year Tobacco-Free Communities grant from the Minnesota Department of Health.
Reduce and prevent youth tobacco use and address tobacco-related disparities in the Hmong community of Minnesota by promoting community-driven tobacco prevention and control activities and strategies.
- Identify and assess the community’s awareness of and need for culturally appropriate services and resources that leads to cessation of tobacco usage.
- Increase the community’s knowledge of and access to resources, support, and referrals of cessation services.
- Build a community of leaders engaged in dialogue and action towards tobacco prevention and cessation in their communities.
HAP conducted a community needs assessment that focused on tobacco policy and the environment. The assessment included community surveys, focus groups, and support from a community advisory council. Data from the assessment was shared with stakeholders and members of our communities and is being used by HAP to create community action plans with our community partnerships and develop a youth media campaign to support initiatives towards a tobacco-free generation.
Friday Youth Table Talk
We facilitate a high-school-age youth group that offers a tobacco-free space for youth to share challenges they face, learn life skills, and become health advocates. Participants also learn the basic issues of tobacco and discuss tobacco use in traditional Hmong marriages and funerals. The group meets every Thursday from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. at our HAP Arcade Office (1075 Arcade Street, St. Paul, MN 55106).
Referrals of Cessation Services: Resources to help you or a loved one quit tobacco
HAP also supports healthy behaviors and healthy lifestyle choices. If you or a loved one are thinking about quitting tobacco use, you can call 651-495-1575 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to connect with Shinaah Thao, the HAP Tobacco Prevention Coordinator, who provides resources to help you quit and conducts one-on-one motivational interviewing sessions to support you in quitting at your own pace.
- For more information on QUIT PLAN Services: https://www.quitplan.com/
- For more information about the TFC grant from MDH: http://www.health.state.mn.us/tfc
- For more information on quitting tobacco: https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/tobacco/quitting/index.html
Want more information?
Contact Shinaah Thao | Tobacco Prevention Coordinator | 651-495-1575 | email@example.com